What does NINE dot ARTS do?
NINE dot ARTS are art consultants and curators that help public and private sector clients across the country create one-of-a-kind spaces that captivate audiences and distinguish a memorable sense of place. We do this by curating art from local and emerging artists. We work with artists, galleries, dealers, and arts organizations from all over the world to find the perfect artwork for each client’s project.
Why should I work with NINE dot ARTS?
NINE dot ARTS believes in the power of original art to transform ordinary spaces into one-of-a-kind experiences. We believe art engages the community and elevates the built environment, from office buildings and hospitals to hotels, apartments, public spaces, and beyond. We seek out ways to embed art and culture into all of our civic spaces, meanwhile employing and uplifting artists from around the world. We believe in paying artists fairly for their work and helping them build long-lasting, fulfilling careers.
Benefits to Artists…
- By creating a dotfolio account and uploading your work, NINE dot ARTS curators can search for and purchase your art for corporate clients around the country. We do the selling, and you get more time in the studio.
- Creating a dotfolio account gives you an accessible database to refine your artist statement, easily upload, organize, and price your artwork, and more. And unlike other expensive platforms, dotfolio is free!
- We will sell your artwork and pay you a fair, equitable price while keeping you informed throughout the process.
- We help increase your exposure, placing your artwork in high-traffic areas like hotel lobbies, apartment lounges, offices, and public plazas.
- You’ll become part of an international artist community with over 10,000 members worldwide.
- You’ll get access to a quarterly newsletter with free resources and opportunities, from artwork pricing tips to virtual portfolio reviews to artist open houses and calls for entry.
What kind of artwork does NINE dot ARTS look for?
- We present and place artwork of all styles and mediums including paintings, prints, photography, sculpture, ceramics, textiles, and other art media.
- We most typically place larger works (i.e. 20” x 20” and larger) due to the sheer size and scale of the corporate and commercial spaces where we most often install art collections. However, smaller series of works can be used in multiples.
- Three subject matters we rarely work with are nudes, strong political tones, and religious iconography.
How does NINE dot ARTS collaborate with artists and sell their work?
NINE dot ARTS works on a project-by-project basis, meaning we purchase artwork that matches our corporate client’s brand, goals, and vision. Sometimes we find a fit right away, and other times it can take years before we find the right project for an artist.
We purchase artists’ work at the wholesale price. We sell it to corporate clients for a retail price, which is often about twice as much. The difference between the wholesale and retail prices can be thought of as the cost it takes to sell your art piece. To sustain our business, pay artists, and continue creating one-of-a-kind art experiences, we share 50/50 in the retail price of the piece with the artist. We acknowledge that not all artists can work with a 50/50 distribution and we are open to discussing other arrangements as necessary.
Check out our simple artwork pricing guide for more information on wholesale vs. retail pricing.
Does NINE dot ARTS represent artists?
NINE dot ARTS has no contracts with artists or galleries, which allows us both to work with whomever we want.
NINE dot ARTS is hired by our clients to serve as their art consultant and execute their artistic vision. We are not your agent and do not represent you. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, NINE dot ARTS and its website (www.dotfolioart.com) are not the exclusive means through which you may sell your work, and you remain free to sell your artwork to and through anyone.
How do I get started working with NINE dot ARTS?
The first step to working with NINE dot ARTS is to create a free account at www.dotoflioart.com. dotfolio is an online platform that makes selling your work easier than ever. By uploading your portfolio, NINE dot ARTS curators can access your art and sell it to corporate buyers around the country.
View “Getting Started with dotfolio” below to learn how to create your free profile.
Where can I find artist resources and opportunities?
By signing up for dotfolio, you will be added to our quarterly newsletter, which shares links to various events, opportunities, and resources for our artist community. Such resources can also be found at our blog. Additionally, follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn to learn about our latest art installations and opportunities for artists.
GETTING STARTED WITH DOTFOLIO
How much does it cost to use dotfolio?
Like the best things in life, dotfolio is free!
What information/materials do I need to create an account at dotfolio?
The information and materials needed to create a dotfolio profile are the same as those needed for building your artist career, so consider your profile the place to refine your artist statement, establish artwork pricing, and more!
- Personal information: email, phone number, website address (if applicable), residential address
- Artist statement, resume, and/or CV
- High-quality images (300 dpi) of your artwork
- Size and weight of your artwork
- Artwork pricing (A guide for determining the price of your artwork can be found here)
How do I create my profile?
Step 1: Sign up here and accept the terms and conditions. Users of dotfolio must agree to the terms and conditions in order to create a profile and use the site.
Step 2: Edit your profile information.
- Once you’ve created an account and logged in, you’ll need to fill out your profile. Click on the “Profile” button to get started. Then click the blue pen icon to edit and complete the form as thoroughly as you can.
Step 3: Upload your Artist Statement, resume, and/or CV.
- Upload these documents by dragging and dropping them from your desktop into the correct form-fill areas.
- While an artist statement, resume, and/or CV is not required to work with us, these materials can help us better understand your background and artistic style. We can then articulate this information to our clients, helping to garner interest in your work.
Step 4: Save your profile. Always make sure to click the “Save” button when making any edits to your profile.
Who can see my information?
Only those of us at NINE dot ARTS can view your information. We will show our clients images of your work, but they do not have access to your profile.
When can I expect my dotfolio profile to be approved?
NINE dot ARTS will approve artists’ profiles within two weeks of their creation. If you have not heard from us, your profile was approved. We will reach out if anything more is needed to approve your account.
How do I delete my dotfolio account?
We’ll be sad to see you go, but if you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we’ll remove your account from our system.
After signing up for dotfolio, am I obligated to only sell through NINE dot ARTS?
NINE dot ARTS is hired by our clients to serve as their art consultant and execute their artistic vision. We are not your agent and do not represent you. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, NINE dot ARTS and its website (www.dotfolioart.com) are not the exclusive means through which you may sell your work, and, subject to Section 12, you remain free to sell your artwork to and through anyone.
I’m having problems using dotfolio. What should I do?
- Check out the rest of the FAQs to make sure your question isn’t one we’ve already answered.
- Make sure you’re using a supported browser. We recommend Google Chrome, but you can also use Safari or Firefox. dotfolio is not compatible with Internet Explorer.
- Make sure you have the most up-to-date version of your browser.
- If you’ve made a change to your profile or artwork but don’t see it saved, please give the page time to load. If you still don’t see a change, refresh your page.
- If nothing appears to work, please follow these steps to report the problem to us at 303-999-0383 (preferred) or email@example.com:
- Describe the issue as clearly as possible. List the steps you took to encounter the problem. (ie. Signed In, navigated to my profile, clicked Edit, uploaded W9 then received the following error message.)
- Tell us what browser and version of the browser you are using. You can find your browser and version using the following link: https://whatbrowser.org/.
- Include a screenshot of the error you are seeing.
ADDING AND PRICING YOUR ARTWORK
How do I add my artwork to dotfolio?
Step 1: Upload artwork. Click on the “Artwork” tab at the top of your profile. Click the blue plus sign button to add artwork.
- You’ll see a drag and drop area appear on your screen. dotfolio makes it easy to add your entire portfolio with a simple drag and drop, or choose files from your desktop by clicking the “browse” button.
- While the images are uploading you’ll see a loading icon on the screen. Don’t navigate away from this page while your images are uploading.
- Once your images are uploaded, you’ll see that they are marked with a “Needs Info” tag.
Step 2: Add information to your artwork. Click on the artwork image for which you want to add information. Click the blue pen icon to edit.
- Complete the required fields, and fill out the rest of the form as thoroughly as possible.
- Make sure to click “Save Artwork” at the bottom of the gallery window after making any changes.
How should I go about pricing my artwork?
This guide offers 5 easy steps for pricing your artwork, and explains how pricing works when NINE dot ARTS purchases your work and resells it to a client. Our process is similar to how galleries earn commissions for the work they do to sell your art. Like a gallery, we share 50/50 in the retail price of the piece with the artist, which is how we sustain our business, pay artists, and continue creating one-of-a-kind art experiences.
How do I add additional pricing to my artwork?
If your artwork upload requires a pricing sheet (for example, prices for various print sizes of a photograph), you can add additional pricing information by clicking inside the “Additional Information” box of the “Edit Artwork” page. Add your pricing there, or drag and drop a pricing sheet into the “Detail Image” space.
Remember to still fill out a retail and wholesale price. If your work is considered for a project, we will be sure to reference your pricing guide.
How will I know if my artwork has been viewed or sold?
If your artwork is chosen for a project, you’ll hear from a NINE dot ARTS curator directly via email.
My artwork sold. Should I remove it?
If you’ve sold a piece that’s on your portfolio, we encourage you not to delete it, but to leave it up on the site. Instead, just click the “No, this piece is no longer available.” checkbox in the “Available” section of the artwork’s edit page. Leaving the artwork on your profile allows us to better understand the breadth of your work and capabilities.
Can I upload artwork that is not for sale?
If you have a piece that’s not available but showcases your skillset, we encourage you to add it to the site. Just make sure to click the “No, this piece is no longer available” checkbox in the “Available” section of the artwork’s edit page.
If my artwork isn’t selling, what should I do?
NINE dot ARTS works on a project-by-project basis, meaning we purchase artwork that matches our client’s brand, goals, and vision. Sometimes we find a fit right away, and other times it can take years before we find the right project for an artist.
Don’t get discouraged if we don’t sell your work right away, because that doesn’t mean we aren’t trying or that we don’t like what we see. In the meantime, do your best to sell your art through as many avenues (galleries, other art consulting firms, online, through your studio, etc.) as possible.
Additionally, continue to update your portfolio, and feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for insights on improvements that could be made. You can also contact email@example.com to let us know that you’ve added new artwork. We monitor this email regularly and will get back to you in a timely manner.
How frequently should I expect to hear from NINE dot ARTS?
By signing up for dotfolio, you will be added to our quarterly newsletter, which shares links to various events, opportunities, and resources for our artist community.
Otherwise, you can expect to hear from NINE dot ARTS via email if we are inquiring about a specific artwork or are interested in collaborating on a commission.
Additionally, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. We monitor this email regularly and will get back to you in a timely manner.
LOGISTICS (PAYMENT, LICENSING, DELIVERY, AND FRAMING)
How does NINE dot ARTS handle artist payment and licensing?
- NINE dot ARTS uses a purchase order and invoice system for payment. If your artwork is purchased by or through NINE dot ARTS, you will receive a purchase order via email detailing the amount you will be paid along with a request for an invoice.
- An invoice is a bill issued from the seller (Artist/Supplier) to the buyer (NINE dot ARTS Corp.). The artist will create and submit the invoice via email to NINE dot ARTS. Invoices should not include tax, as NINE dot ARTS is not required to pay sales tax to artists/suppliers.
- Please invoice the full amount, though the purchase order may detail a specific payment schedule, such as a 50% deposit payment with the 50% balance due upon receipt of the art. No interest shall accrue on outstanding payments due to you.
- Payments are made via bill.com. You will receive an email invitation to create an account with bill.com. This is only necessary if you wish to be paid via electronic payment, also known as ACH payments.
- If you wish to be paid via check, you do not need to create a bill.com account nor provide your banking information. Checks are typically processed and mailed every Tuesday.
- If you wish to be paid electronically, you will need to create an account with bill.com and enter your banking information. Bill.com will assign you a Payment Network ID (PNI). You will need to provide your PNI to NINE dot ARTS along with a request to be paid electronically.
- NOTE – NINE dot ARTS is unable to accept invoices sent within bill.com. Please email all invoices to the relevant project manager at NINE dot ARTS.
- Artist agrees to grant NINE dot ARTS and the client a non-exclusive, perpetual, sub-licensable, transferrable, and irrevocable license to reproduce and distribute compilations containing the artwork (including, but not limited to, photographs or video of the artwork where it is installed) for marketing purposes in any medium, including, but not limited to: brochures, print media advertisements, television, and other print or digital media (including Internet media), but not for the sale of those compilations.
Does NINE dot ARTS frame and install artists’ work?
Typically, NINE dot ARTS handles all framing requirements and artwork installation for all of our projects, unless discussed in advance with the artist. We work closely with the artist and the project’s design, architect, and engineering teams for the installation of all site-specific artwork and major commissions.
How should artwork be delivered to NINE dot ARTS?
- In a signed contract, the artist will approve pricing that is inclusive of all materials, supplies, and equipment required to deliver and install artwork, including any site-specific requirements.
- NINE dot ARTS provides specific locations and deadlines for artwork delivery. The artist is expected to deliver their work on time and to the correct location.
- Freight, shipping, and/or delivery charges will be specified in an artwork agreement signed by NINE dot ARTS and the artists. Additionally freight, shipping, and/or delivery charges required (beyond this agreed upon amount) will be covered by the artist.
- Artists should affix hanging and security hardware to any artwork(s) meant to be attached without a frame to a wall (i.e. wall sculptures, works on panels, etc.).
- Artists should label each piece (on the exterior wrapping) with the project name and the title of the artwork.